August 17, 2013

Letter Writing- Importance Terms (Informal)


BEGINNINGS
  • Thank you for your lovely letter.
  • Many thanks for your letter.
  • Thanks for writing.
  • It was good to hear from you.
  • Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been very busy.
  • Sorry for taking so long to reply. I have been revising for my exams.
  • I’m sorry I haven’t written for ages,  but I’ve been busy studying and haven’t had the time.

SIGNALLING: "THE END IS NEAR"
  • Well, that’s all my news for now.
  • It’s getting late, so I’d better stop now.
  • I’d better stop now. It’s past midnight and I have an exam tomorrow.
  • I’d better finish – I’m running out of space.
  • My mom is calling for dinner so that’s enough for today
  • I have to finish my home works so I am dropping my pen
  • My favourate movie is there on tv tonight so it’s time to drop my pen
ENDINGS
  • I look forward to hearing from you.
  • I can hardly wait to meet you.
  • Please write again soon.
  • Please keep in touch.
  • Give my regards to …
  • Hope to hear from you soon.
  • Awaiting an early reply .
  • Inform my regards to Sam
Don’t forget to inform my updating to Aunt and uncle.

Special Terms

·        By the way . . .
·        To tell you the truth . . .
·        I must tell you about . . .
·        Right now I’m . . .
·        You will never believe it but . . .
·        I hope that . . .
·        To be honest . . .
·        I imagine that . . .
·        I should have told you that . .
·        I have been looking forward to . . .
·        I am looking forward to . . .       
·        I am worried about . . .              
·        I was looking forward to . . .
·        I expect that . . .
·        I think that . . .
·        As it happened . . .
·        I didn’t expect . . .
·        I don’t expect . .
·        In truth . . .
·        The best bit is . . .                    
·        The worst part is . . .               
·        Worst of all . . .
·        Best of all . . .
·        You’ll never guess what happened?
·        You know what?
·        Do you know what?
·        Can you imagine it?
·        Have you ever . . ?
·         Do you think that . . ?
·         Don’t you think that . .?
·         Isn’t it time to . . ?

·         Have you ever thought about . . ?

  Punctuation Marks

! – Exclamation Mark (Wonder )
. – Full stop (Sentence Completion)
, - Coma (Line break)
: - colon
; - Semicolon
‘’- Single Inverter coma (give imp)
“” – double inverter coma(quote)
? – interrogation Mark (Question mark) 

No comments:

Post a Comment